Pages

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 20 January 2016

Road block 21/1/2016



Road block   21/1/2016
Road block is the last resort people take to protest and protect their rights and properties.  I can understand why the rural people resort to road block every now and then to the menace of those big companies plundering in their territories or lands. 

People are at the mercy of these big companies who are ever ready to exploit every possibility to reap the most profits and benefits at the expense of the poor rural people.  These are the common scenes we all witness frequently.

Lately, a big company having a big project near to my residential area.  They wanted to use the Lorong I live in to transport their building materials to their construction site so much against our will and interest.

Yes, they had promised us of the repair and compensation just in case there was any damage.  The leader of the group told me that they came to ask for our consent on behalf of the municipal council.  Ignorantly, I signed my consent without much thought.  I even kindly and blindly gave them my neighbour’s telephone numbers to him to make the contacts. 

He called my left hand side neighbour and repeated what he had said to me and a lot more.  My neighbour cleverly recorded the conversation.   It was a really interesting conversation about all the good and sweet promises for the repair of the damage that can tempt people like me easily.

When I realised the fact that I was fooled to signed the letter which gave the permit to use Jalan, not Lorong, I was really angry.  Hence, by habit, I wanted to tell the person my piece of mind.   Ignorantly I warned them not to use the road or we would road block it.

After that, of course, I called SMC to request them not to give them permit to use the road and followed by a letter.   Of course, we were asked to see them.   But we could not make it on 18th January, 2016 they asked us because of the time constraint to the other two.  We arranged to go the following afternoon 19th January, 2016.  That morning, I was told that SMC Deputy Chairman had signed the permit to the said company to my anger.

The thought of road block came to me as no choice if the said company really attempted to use this short-cut to accomplish their aim.  I can understand why people have hatred towards the government of the day.  I even had wild thought of rallying Sibu people to boycott the said company and our consensus of SMC for the permits. 
There are other accesses for the company if they are willing to pay some money to the landowner(s).  But they insisted to use the short-cut with 4 units of semi-detached believing the possibilities they could explore, if not exploit.

That very afternoon, one of my neighbours came to discuss with us and we found our strong point to stop the company using the said Lorong as it is the end road.  It was linked by someone secretly. 

That afternoon,  only two houseowners could make it.  The other one called up  the engineer to tell him about his piece of mind and another did not come because he has the business with the said company.

That afternoon, we went there punctually expecting to meet the Deputy Chairman to the disappointment of my neighbour who believed that it was better to meet Deputy Chairman but…….  Hence, we went to the engineering section to deal with our problem.

Yes, we met the engineer.  He told us the permit had been granted to the said company.  Then, we told him our point that is big enough to stop SMC to let the said company use the Lorong.  To prove the point, he patiently, checked through so many housing plans for the area for us and the truth revealed itself in the end. 

We all went home happily.  Out of the office, my neighbour’s son let me hear the records of the said conversation he took, all the way down the ground from the 22nd floor.  I had a good laugh hearing the recorded conversation of how the man sweet talked all through to convince him.

No comments:

Post a Comment