Pages

Powered By Blogger

Thursday 12 September 2013

Practise more with less tests



Practise more with less tests /exams        13/9/2013
        I believe a child can learn so much more and better if they are not bothered by tests all the time in language learning.    Learning English in school through stories besides some some planned learning of grammar and phonics.
        Give the school the rights to choose the English curriculum/ programme.  I would recommend Singapore English curriculum.  You may think the British one is even better, so go ahead with it, why not?   It is because all these programmes go in depth and width to learn the language.    Personally, I have gone through Pets series of books and some of another series called In Step.   I have the full set of Pets series and 3 levels of In Step
        For Pets series of books from 1A1B to 6A6B, for example,  each level of the books also goes with workbooks related to each unit and another revisionary exercises also correspond to each topic/unit.  Besides, there are 13-15 readers to view/go with.  You see how rich the language exposure /experience.  
        In this case, children have the chance to learn grammar and vocabulary in contexts in such a natural way.  Grammar is also drilled in isolation, too but related to the topic.   There is always a grammatical item/ two to emphasise in each unit/ topic.
        I taught in an English tuition school using Pets Series of books.   I am convinced that it is exactly as I believe.  Children need to go through all processes to learn the English language.   It is a well-planned learning.    Our Malaysian syllabi lack most of the things for the development of the language.    It was a shock to me then.
        After I resigned from a school, I taught in an English language centre for a year.   They used Pets series of books, workbooks, revisionary exercises and readers for Level 1 and 2.  For higher forms they had the access to the library.   Reading was highly recommended to improve one’s English.   I am convinced that learning a language has to go through all these processes and exposure.  Our Malaysian syllabi lack most of these elements for the development of the language.  I was shocked then when I had the chance to compare the two.
        Ya, the centre also gave them 4 tests in a year.  Other time, children would have the topic to view and exercises to do.  They had a lot of chances to hear spoken English in the language centre.   They had Spelling and Dictation for each unit.
        Once I also gave tuition on my own.  I used the Pets series of coursebooks, some good exercises in the workbooks and the revision exercises, of course all the readers for Level 1 and 2.   Of course, I also gave Spelling and Dictation,  too.
        Believe me, through Spelling and Dictation, we can create the awareness of the clues of  English spelling /phonics in general.   Knowing how to pronounce the words  enables our children to remember the words easily and for life.  For example,

Dictation
        I hear with my two ears.
        I can hear you clearly now, dear.
        Though I am only 7 years old,  I can tell you an apple from a pear.
         That teddy bear near you is mine.
         My mother wears a pearl necklace once in a while.
        
        Before you give them the dictation, give them the spelling of the words and phrases a day ahead.   Of course let them have the chance to learn them.  You may give them 10 minutes to learn in class before you test them.   If they do not score well, don’t worry.

Spelling
1  ear   2  hear    3  clearly   4  dear   5  years                6  pear
        7  teddy bear     8  near      9  wears    10  pearl
        11  once in a while      12   neck    necklace

      Creativity for English  teachers can only become possible when we all forget about scoring good results at the expense of good learning and processes/ exposure / experiences.    Exam-oriented teaching and learning makes life difficult and frustrating for all.  Test less and learn more  for the good of all.   After all language learning or whatever is life-long commitment to excel.

No comments:

Post a Comment